Facts About Mental Illness
- 1 in 4 people will be diagnosed with a mental illness at some point in their lives.
- Mental health problems are the number one reason why people see their doctors.
- Mental health issues affect one in four employees in Canadian workplaces.
- At any given time, more than 70% of the people living on the street have some form of a mental illness.
- There are more than 400 deaths due to suicide in Alberta every year.
About Mental Illness
- Mental illness includes a wide range of illnesses ranging from mild to severe that affect a person’s thoughts, feelings, perceptions and functioning. Examples include depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, personality disorders and bipolar disorders.
- Mental illnesses can be treated and managed effectively.
- Mental illness affects people of all ages, educational and income levels.
- Mental illness is caused by a complex interplay of genetic, biological, personality and environmental factors.
- Stigma is the main barrier to diagnosis, treatment and acceptance of mental illness.
- Depression and anxiety disorders are the most common mental illnesses, affecting one in twelve Canadians.
- Schizophrenia disorders and Bipolar Disorder affects 2% of the Canadian population.
Where to find help: click here